What is website development?
Web development is a broad term for the work involved in developing a web site for the Internet. This can include web design, web content development, client liaison, client-side/server-side scripting, web server and network security configuration, and e-commerce development
. However, among web professionals, web development usually refers to the main non-design aspects of building web sites: writing mark-up and coding. Web development can range from developing the simplest static single page of plain text to the most complex web-based internet applications, electronic businesses, or social network services.
SharePoint 2013 provides a robust platform to manage your digital marketing strategy and helps you expand your reach, increase customer retention, drive revenue, manage and maintain content with ease, and most importantly make huge costs savings.
ICS Solutions and website development:
The SharePoint Optimised Website service uses SharePoint 2013 for Internet sites, and ICS Solutions best practice experience to help you create rich and visually compelling sites whilst substantially reducing site maintenance costs.
Our accelerated engagement model takes you through the process of building site requirements and evolving user experience from concept, through prototype and into production. With the Optimised Website you can centrally manage single or multiple sites, have a fully integrated mobile, multi-lingual and accessible site with creative and interactive media technologies and social networking integration. The service also aid Search Engine Optimisation to ensure your site receives maximum visibility.
We built our own SharePoint 2013 websites:
We recently migrated our 4 websites to SharePoint 2013. The ICS Solutions site is our parent site with centralised managed lists and we have a number of technology 'advantage'
program child sites which consume data from the parent site. Having centralised managed lists in SharePoint 2013 means that updates are easier to manage.
Read the case study on how we did it and why we did it here
Why invest in SharePoint 2013 for Internet?
SharePoint 2013 has some fantastic new features for Website Development, not only making it easier for developers to create websites and content management systems, but also making it a lot easier for content authors to update the sites without high levels of assistance and training:
- SharePoint ribbon from the Office applications provides an familiar user interface
- Empowering content creators with an intuitive user experience, that helps employees author and publish content effectively without needed specialised technical skills
- One click page creation
- New and improved Rich Text Editor provides a “Word-Like” editing experience. Providing rich formatting of text, live preview of formatting options and easy embedding of images and videos
- Easier to add rich media content, like images, audio, video and Silverlight controls to their pages
- Supported in Internet Explorer 7 & 8.0
- Content Query Web Part ensures the user can quickly build landing pages or show dynamic roll-ups
- Managed Metadata tagging
- SharePoint 2013 enables social computing scenarios where readers of the site can tag, rate and comment on site content
- Richer publishing control
- Authors can have the freedom to insert any web part or have the specific, approved web parts available in the page layout
- SharePoint 2013 provides a range of new Web Analytics capabilities that monitor different aspects of the site usage
Find out more about SharePoint 2013 for websites at our next SharePoint seminar